Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Fire Protest By ID Card Protesters

A giant fake ID card bearing the Home Secretary's face has been set alight by protesters opposed to the Government's compulsory identity card plans. Campaign group NO2ID burned the mock-up outside a London venue where David Blunkett was due to outline further details of his scheme.NO2ID organiser Mark Littlewood said: "It's extremely important that the Home Secretary understands that if he proceeds with this absurd plan there's going to be very substantial public resistance.

"It's not hysterical to be talking about an Orwellian society and a total surveillance state.

"We are all extremely concerned that the Government is establishing an enormous database on all 60 million of us which will link together a vast amount of information on us.

"I don't mind the police knowing about my crime sheet and my doctor knowing about my health records, but I certainly don't want the police knowing my medical records and my doctor knowing my crime records."

As Mr Blunkett arrived at the conference on ID cards, the protesters shouted "resign. And show us your ID".

Mr Blunkett turned and gave an exaggerated wave to the small group as he entered the building.

His proposals will cost up to £3.1 billion to introduce.

The cards, which feature biometric details such as fingerprints and iris scans, will be phased in from 2007-8 as people apply to renew their passports.

I,m not happy about these I.D card ideas at all, I DO NOT WANT ONE EVER!

ID cards won't comply with data protection laws





1 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Mad Mike said...

We have a cat her name is Smokey I will find a couple of pictures to post of her soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home